LNH/Meta: Warmonger?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jul 20 11:51:55 PDT 2013

On 7/20/2013 10:14 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> Simply put: I was fiddling with future story ideas in the Middle
> East, and thinking of having a Mesopotamian artifact recovered during
> the Iraq War. But then I thought: Wait, did the Iraq War even happen
> in the Classic Looniverse?
>
> I mean, Saxon's 9/11 issue effectively removed much of the reason it
> happened in the first place.

I just now tried to find that issue in Google Groups, because it seems
like something I need to read.  The closest I came was a nice little
song about Alt.stralian xenophobia.

> And Hex Luthor, even if he decided the
> Taliban in Afghanistan were worth going after, wouldn't be the kind
> to open up a second major front without finishing the first one.

If Hex is anything like the President Luthor I've read about, he's
*usually* pretty sensible...  but he might fly into a paranoid rage if
he suspected his arch-enemy Superguy or Bicycle Repair Man (or whoever)
were hiding super-technology in Iraq.

> What do you think? Did the Hex administration decide to go after the
> WMDs? Did some even stranger conflict happen?

I vote for Stranger Conflict.  There's no shortage of conflict sources.
  My Superhuman World comics ("SW10") give that part of the world a
fairly complete set of conflicts.

The first superhumans became public in 1990 and had no great effect on
the Iraq war.  However, Iraq went all-out for revenge and (with some
alien sponsorship) built a terrorist organization, the Iraqi Allied
People's Front.  It introduced itself in August 1991, by taking hostages
throughout Manhattan.  The superhero response was known as The Great
Wrath of Ellipsis.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/ellipsis2.rtf)  The IAPF and its
alien allies were active well into the 1990s, but it lost its momentum
when the aliens lost interest.

The airplane attack on the World Trade Center happened in August 2001,
but was foiled by Ellipsis and his wife Scudbuster in hyper-speed armor.
  The armor went missing, though; it showed up that September 11,
crashing through the WTC.

By then, Hillary Rodham was U.S. president.  She left Iraq alone,
cordoned off Afghanistan, and launched a coordinated raid against
terrorist cells throughout the Mediterranean basis.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/joab.htm)

The IAPF produced quite a lot of super-powered Saddam Hussein (and some
Muammar Gaddafi) look-alike robots and other body doubles.  These
resulted in a lot of fake Saddam Hussein death reports.  During one such
death in 2003, Iraq dissolved into a four-way civil war.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/politics.htm)

I know. - Archie Andrews