ASH/HCC: Coherent Super Stories #32 - Making Contract

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Jul 5 15:52:56 PDT 2013

On 7/5/2013 3:31 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <kr7eu0$4fh$1 at dont-email.me>,
> Scott Eiler  <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:
>> FYI, I tried to read online first, at
>> http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/ASH/CSS32 .  It was fine in Firefox, but
>> all munged up in Internet Exploder.
>
>       Did every paragraph turn into a single long line with no breaks?

Almost.  There was word wrap, but the *whole story* was one long line!

> Mobile
> browsers are starting to treat all text files as if they had .html on the end
> of the filename and evaluate them accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised if
> Exploder did that too.  Because, you know, HTML standards are for fogeys.

Firefox and IE both slipped some HTML tags in the front of the document;
the difference is, Firefox put in a "<pre>."  IE has always been the
bad-boy browser.

But "<pre>" doesn't help my stories, because I refuse to word wrap a
plain text document.  Issues like that are a major reason I came up with
a text-to-HTML converter for my own web pages.  My LNH and 2011-2012
text stories use it.  The problem with that is, it's finicky and I
always have to upload the pages to see how they look.

I know. - Archie Andrews