ASH/HCC: Coherent Super Stories #32 - Making Contract

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Jul 5 14:53:29 PDT 2013

On 7/5/2013 2:15 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       [Cover shows Doctor Developer at a crudely-constructed roadside stand
> with a sign reading "Psychotic Help - 5 cents" with a line of low-grade
> supervillains stretching off the edge of the frame.  At the head of the line
> is an embittered round-headed kid with a pictographic speech bubble
> describing his desire for an exploding football.]

What, someone other than me wants to turn a beloved Peanuts character
into a homicidal maniac?  Good grief!

>       Doctor Developer tucked the bundle in his coat pocket and headed out the
> way he came in...or up to the parking deck.  Rounding the corner three
> bipedal robots clattered forward, their motion sensors triggered by his
> movements.  Doctor Developer absently waves his hand at the three, a small,
> infrared light up his sleeve sending out the all-clear signal.  They stepped
> back into line.
>
>      "Time to get to work," he said to no one but himself.

> Editor's Notes:
>
>       Collaboration has a history of gumming things up in ASH...witness how
> the entire output of three ASH writers was the three issues of Capstone the
> year it came out.  We'd cranked out a few dozen issues in the year before.
> So I approached High Concept Challenge #37 with some skepticism.  But I
> decided to go with a simple vignette using Google Drive to write in
> alternating fashion with Andy.

Indeed it was.  Vignette, that is.  It was nice to see super-villains
making *practical* plans.  There's not much else to say.

>       One lesson learned...if you set Google Drive documents to use straight
> quotes and your collaborator doesn't, you can't easily globally undo the
> curly quote crap.  I had to copy it into Word and do cut and paste search and
> replace to get it in shape for copying into a straight text file.

FYI, I tried to read online first, at
http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/ASH/CSS32 .  It was fine in Firefox, but
all munged up in Internet Exploder.

I know. - Archie Andrews