8FOLD/HCC: Nonfiction # 1, So I Wished Them Up (USENET-friendly version)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Feb 25 18:56:28 PST 2013

On 2/25/2013 4:32 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Feb 25, 6:06 pm, Tom Russell <joltc... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Well, in an abstract sense, I could understand the Mudd family's
>> interest in defending their name. No one wants to be the great-grandson
>> of the guy who helped to kill Lincoln; people would much rather be the
>> great-grandson of the guy who was unjustly accused.
>
> I mostly mean this side. IMHO, if you're personally emotionally
> invested enough in the personal honor of your great-grandparents to
> make it a major cause of your life...

To some extent, it depends on your view of history.  Modern people often
forget, Lincoln was not all that popular while he was President.  He did
infringe upon personal liberties to an unprecedented extent even in the
North, for instance.  Why buy the sanitary version of history and
pretend your ancestors always loved him?

I don't know what exactly my ancestors were doing during the Civil War.
  But I have been told, I'm descended from the guy who founded Rhode
Island.  Or as I like to put it, the first guy who was ever thrown out
of Massachusetts.

I know. - Archie Andrews