8FOLD/HCC: Nonfiction # 1, So I Wished Them Up (USENET-friendly version)

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:06:54 PST 2013

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:48:47 PM UTC-5, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Feb 23, 8:13 pm, Tom Russell <joltc... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I was going for a Samuel Mudd type thing here; Mudd's family, even today, has continued to perpetrate the lie that he was but an innocent doctor who mended Wilkes's leg, and this lie has been perpetrated with great success. Movies and books and popular myth cast Mudd as the innocent leg-mender, when he was in fact a full-fledged member of Wilkes's conspiracy.
>

> Man. I'm surprised anyone still cares.

Well, in an abstract sense, I could understand the Mudd family's interest in defending their name. No one wants to be the great-grandson of the guy who helped to kill Lincoln; people would much rather be the great-grandson of the guy who was unjustly accused.

On the other side of it-- those people who push against the popular Mudd myth-- well, history matters. Truth-- at least, as close to it as we can get our history-- matters. So, for the same reason it's important to defend against Oxfordians, for example, Mudd matters.

My two cents anyway. :-D

==Tom