SW10/HCC: Powernaut 1962 #1: Powernaut and the Power Patrol!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Feb 2 11:24:08 PST 2013

It's the next big story.  And it's chock-full of teambuilding - and
Commies.  Powernaut 1962 is underway!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1962.htm

But not *everyone* likes it...

---

Bonus Section: Talk Back to the Powernaut!

Hello, this is the Powernaut. I'll take all your letters, as soon as
they come in! I have one here...

---

Dear Powernaut,

Why's your comic putting in all these new people?

You and S.O.S. on the Moon last year was great. You don't need those
others. They're just stupid. It's like you're trying to copy other
companies' team comics, when you should just be the Powernaut.

Paula Power is stupid because she comes from those PowerTEEN comics. Now
that she's in a *real* Powernaut comic, it'll be about love interests.
If this goes on, S.O.S. will fight the Powernaut over her! And speaking
of fighting over women... Queezl the Saucer Alien is stupid because he's
from the stupid Dean Martin 3-D movie tie-in, and he wants to steal
women from Earth anyway. Neither one should be in Powernaut comics,
especially not together because they come from different stories!
Shouldn't Queezl want to steal Paula Power and take her to Venus? And
don't get me going on that new (racial epithet omitted) character.

The Powernaut can always use *one* sidekick. But he doesn't need four!
If you keep them, especially this bunch, they'll RUIN EVERYTHING in the
story! I don't know if even the Powernaut can ever recover from this one
ruined story!

(signed) Andy Cletus (age 15)
Miles City, Montana

---

Hello, my ally Andy!

I can see you love my adventures. My new Power Patrol is *good* news for
you, because now *you* can be my sidekick too! Soon I'll have a Power
Patrol enlistment package you can see with my adventures! I'm not going
to comment on *who* can be my sidekick, because *everyone* can!

I know you don't like who's in my Power Patrol now. But they've earned
the right to be there. They'll all show you, if you keep reading! And
I've had Paula on my team since 1941, even if she's usually been in the
background!

I hope to see *you* in my Power Patrol soon!

(signed) the Powernaut

---

Author's Notes:

I remembered the Great American Comics Code (GACC) from 1955! It lingers
on. As do many things from the 1950s, whether they make sense together
or not. Hence some of the commentary.

Commentary was of course inspired by Rec.Arts.Comics.Collective High
Concept Challenge #35: RUINED FOREVER!  The Cletus family has appeared
in Superhuman World and Powernaut stories before; Andy Cletus's son Kent