REPOST/LNH: Jong #2 -- 'My Journey to Earth (Or How I Spent My Summer Vacation)'

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 9 15:31:05 PST 2013

JONG #2 is comprised of three short little pieces that I wrote before I
realized that the LNH existed.

The first part is the only pre-LNH Slobbering Grue! story that still
exists (considering the quality of the other two that I wrote were
probably even worse than this one -- that's probably a blessing).

The character of Slobbering Grue! was a storage character I had for this
game called 'Avatar', which was a DnD type game on Novanet (an education
computer network that was connected to the Internet through e-mail and
gopher and various other things).

Slobbering Grue! was actually a parody of another person's character
(called the Shocking Grue!) -- also the Ghost Buster character Slimer
probably played a part in what I though the Grue looked like.

Here's a wikipedia page about Avatar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(PLATO_system_video_game)

This story is about an unsuccessful run for the Presidency back in '92.

The next part is an ad for Wondersocks (which I'd bring back as
character in LNHY).

I'm sure this was inspired by the SNL sketch 'Happy Fun Ball' -- (SNL
and Bloom County were big influences on me back then.)

The third part is just a weird little story that I wrote.  I did make a
comic of it for art class -- which you can see here:

http://rippingoffkingarthur.tumblr.com/post/54217013350/profile-of-a-failed-utopia-1-another-cartoon-i

This was my only real attempt to make JONG an anthology.  THE SKATE
backup story I promised in this issue, I never bothered to write and
after this it became all about The Slobbering Grue!