GC: Correspondence From the Goddess #20: That's as Many as Two Tens

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 10:53:19 PDT 2013

Welcome back to another exciting edition of Correspondence From the Goddess. Or something.  As usual, http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com for all your corresponding-with-a-goddess needs!

I have been in something of an odd mood of late. I suppose I feel a little anxious. I would almost call it stir-crazy, but that’s not really the right word for it. I guess the best colloquial term would be “cabin fever”. I just feel cooped up here. I want to go out and live instead of sitting here playing babysitter to one of the most powerful beings imaginable. For a while I was thinking of it as a vacation and it was nice, but I honestly think I might need a vacation from my vacation soon.

- Elana

Wow. Twenty letters in now, huh? That’s as many as two tens, and that’s halfway to terrible. Terrible references aside, this isn’t much of an accomplishment, but I’ll take it anyway. Way to stick to it, Lydia! You go girl! Wow I can’t believe I actually typed that. Talk about embarrassing myself.

I’ve been practicing some in the last week, and I think I’m kind of decent, by the way. At the guitar, I mean. After I learned to stop snapping the strings every time, anyway, but hey. Gotta start somewhere, right? One of these days I’ll be a virtuoso or something, and then I can come back and perform the rock concert of the gods. It’ll be fucking sweet.

Until then, though, I’ve got other things to worry about, like telling you all this stupid story of mine.

“You know what would be nice right about now?” Elana looked up from the sofa where she was reading.

“What’s that?”

“A cup of tea. Too bad we don’t have any cups, hm?”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry. Look, you want me to run to the store and get some plastic ones?” I blushed, rubbing my neck and looking down at the floor. “I mean, I will if you want…”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll get some tomorrow.” She closed her book, looking over at me and gesturing to the spot next to her on the sofa. “Alright, come on, sit down. So what happened in there?”

“I really don’t know.” I started, sitting down next to her. I was nervous and embarrassed, rubbing my hands together as I stared down at my lap. I was never a very good liar, really. I always got all fidgety, and Elana always said it made it obvious. She clearly thought so now, looking straight at me, or even through me, with that thousand-yard gaze locked on to me. So what was the point of hiding it?

“I, uh… okay, so, you sort of saw me, right? I can kind of… lift things now. You know, mentally.”Feeling the need to prove myself for some reason, I turned and looked over at her book. It was just barely in range on the coffee table, so I mentally reached out. With a thought, it was suddenly floating in the air, coming over to her and dropping gently into her lap. “See? It’s, you know. Another superpower.”

Elana turned, looking at the book with a gasp. “Oh, wow!” Her hand covered her mouth, and she stared down at it as it rested there. “Normally I would think this is some kind of magic trick or something, but you really did it, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, duh. You saw me in the kitchen didn’t you?”

“Well, yes, I did, but I wasn’t exactly paying attention to much besides the fact that you were standing in the remnants of, well, you know.” She ran her hand over the cover gently, still looking down at it. “So, what? Did you decide to just yank out everything at once to see if you could or something? Why didn’t you use pillows or something? Towels?”

“Because I didn’t do it on purpose!” I said, frustrated. “It just happened. I didn’t know I could do anything like that until after that! I got one of those headaches, you know? The killer migraine ones. Like the day I went to the hospital.”

“Hmm… well, alright. I suppose I can buy that. I mean, you did accidentally set yourself on fire and all.”

“Oh, please don’t remind me.” I shuddered at the thought, looking away. “…wait, you believe me now?”

“I guess. I mean, if you can use telekinesis I can believe the other stuff. Sorry. So yeah, that makes sense. Talk about crazy though!” She hmmed, rubbing her chin as she thought it over. “And you just yanked it all out by accident? Interesting… But your headache is gone?”

“Yeah, I feel pretty good now. Better than ever, actually.” I grinned, floating her book around again some more for emphasis.

“Well, do you think if you let your headaches just run their course you would get it over with and get all of your powers faster?” She paused for a minute, then seemed to realize what she said. “You know, assuming there are any more powers to get even.”

“I suppose? You might be on to something there, El. But if there are any more powers left, I should probably try to get a handle on this one before I move on, too. If I get them too fast I might get overwhelmed.”

“Good point. I’d hate to see you getting even more overwhelmed than usual.” She grinned.

I bopped her on the forehead without moving my arms. Okay, this is pretty sweet, it really is.

- Lydia