GC: Correspondence With the Goddess #19: Probably the Most Embarassing Thing Ever

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 19:00:50 PDT 2013

And here we are, part 19, etc etc etc.  Please visit http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com for all your goddess-corresponding needs.

Today I spent my whole day just sitting there, sipping my tea and reading. I know, that sounds like all I ever do, but it keeps me informed. Either I learn about what’s going on in the world, or I get a chance to see the world through a different set of eyes. Both of those are such wonderful things that I’m not sure why I would want to do anything else. Other things are nice, but you don’t get to create a world like you do when reading. Yes, someone else has already told the story, but you can create the world in your mind, and you just can’t get that from television when all the visuals are already there. Creating worlds is the best part, for me! Making something new from nothing is so exciting. I miss doing that, but I have other things to worry about now.

- Elana

 think something is wrong with me. You never would have caught me telling stories about myself cowering under a rain of silverware a few months ago. Maybe this is actually helping me to think things over better. Originally I told myself that i would put down anything and everything I could think of without any sort of censoring. If I left something out, then I might be missing one of the key pieces to the puzzle. I can’t imagine how “cowering like a wuss" is going to be important, but hey, who the fuck knows, right?

So I think I need a hobby. I’ve been thinking about it for a while now. Something that isn’t flailing away at my keyboard all the time. So I think I’m going to try taking up music again. I have an old guitar from years ago, but like most projects, I gave it a try for a bit and then gave up and threw it away. Maybe I should give it another chance. Not like I don’t have time for it.

So I was lying there on the floor, plates broken all around me, peeking my head out from under my arms. /Okay that was probably the most embarrassing thing ever. Fuck, why do these shitty things keep happening? Well, at least my headache is gone now…/ I’m sure a lot of people out there think that a few really embarrassing moments like that are more than a fair trade for having, you know, /real actual superpowers/, but I still think I’d be happy to trade all this for a normal life. Wait, no. I would if I was trading with someone I actually trusted. But believe me, even if I suck at this, I don’t trust any of you to have it more than me because at least I know I’m going to fix things if I break it. Or try, anyway.

So now I had a big mess on my hands that needed cleaned up immediately. Standing up, I brushed myself off and looked down at the floor. /Dammit, I don’t want to have to step over all that to get the broom. Well, I’m sure not going to stand here until Elana gets home, either. Time to suck it up and-wait a minute… Maybe I can just…/

It was a long shot, but given what had just happened, maybe this would actually work. I lifted my hands, looking down at the shards on the floor. /Come on, DO something…/ My hands twitched to the side, and… /Fuck, nothing. Well, maybe it just moved a little? Hm… come on, come on. I can figure this out./ I concentrated harder, focusing everything I had on one particular one. I imagined myself reaching out and picking it up without actually moving my arms.

And then, it moved. A twitch at first, but it started to rise up in time with my mental movements, until it was floating in the air in front of me. “Holy shit yes!" I shouted, pumping my fist in the air. “Fuck yes I’m aweso-"

/Clink./ Suddenly, it fell back to the ground, snapping me out of it. “What the hell? Come on, why did it fall?" Once again I picked it back up, a bit easier this time. I reached my hand out, and… /Clink./ Down it went again. /Wait a minute, is that what it is?/

Time for test 3. This time I paid attention to my mental image a bit more. /Okay, I’m picking it up with my right hand. Now let’s see…/ I moved my left arm. Nothing. It stayed there in front of me, and I even turned it slowly in the air. /Alright, now this one…/ I moved my right hand. /Yep, there it goes. Okay so I can’t use my real hand while I’m holding things in this one… Well, still awesome./

I decided to move it to the trash on the other side of the room. Easy enough. It was right over there, about 10 feet away. It started out well enough at first, but around the point it got to the edge of the counter, maybe 3 feet away, it fell again. I blinked, rubbing my head. /What the hell is the problem now?/

Time for more experiments. I tried to pick it up again, but I couldn’t seem to reach it. /Seriously? I have a range of, what, a yard? I get a cool superpower and it barely goes as far as my ar-Ohhhhh, son of a bitch./

Well, alright. At least I knew my limitations already, and it was still something no one else can do. For the moment, I wasn’t thinking about how freaky this was. This time, I was enjoying what I could do, even within those limitations. For funscience, I started to sweep the shards around the room mentally, picking them up, testing how much I could hold at once, how much force I could put behind it, fine manipulation, all sorts of everything I could thi-

“Ahem."

Everything fell back to the ground as I looked over at the door. Elana was standing there, arms crossed, tapping her foot and giving me her best annoyed look. Which, honestly? She was really good at annoyed looks. Still is.

“Uh, hey. How… how long have you been standing there?"

“Ten minutes. Are you done?"

“Yeah. Yeah, I’m done."

“Good." She tossed me the broom and dustpan. “I suggest thinking of a good explanation while you’re cleaning up."

- Lydia