ASH: LL&DD Special "Chore Bored"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 23:25:16 PDT 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:33:33 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Most of it was insider trading, knowing when a
> company was going to increase shareholder wealth by virtue of reverse-
> espionage: breaking into R&D labs to steal equipment, fixing it as part of a
> criminal enterprise, and then giving the schematics back shortly thereafter.
> Originality was for super-science types; Cameron was a super-villain, which
> meant getting shit done expediently.

Because that's not an original plan at all. O.o Oh, Cameron, you were
always meant to be a good guy; you just think too much about the long-term
to really commit to crime.

>      "We use glass plates because that's how I was brought up.  You may once
> have eaten out of foam boxes and aluminum cans, but now that you're a good
> guy, you will abide by the laws of God and man, which include eating in such
> a way that forces you to stand at a sink and cleaning up for twenty minutes
> while digesting."

On the other hand, the dark side does have its advantages.

>      "Okay," she said upon finishing the chart, "It goes without saying we
> can shuffle this around later on, but with you living here now, and the
> wedding thing coming up, we need to get some kind of system in place.

"The wedding thing".  Heeheehee.

> "As much as it pains me, I'll do the
> laundry.  Your auto-washer doesn't do delicate."  Check.  Cameron fondly
> recalled the artistically tattered results of the one attempt, and the one
> time Jennifer had agreed to model them.

<3 <3 <3

> While he wouldn't let on how long he'd known,
> Cameron knew that Jennifer and her mother actually shared those royalties via
> a complex time-dependent sliding scale some DSHA accountant had worked out to
> account for the shared intellectual property, etc.  Jennifer wasn't
> comfortable taking any of that money, but her mother insisted.

And this is why bureaucracy can be good.

> "I guess I should just ask: how much money do you have?"
>      "I guess, uh, a couple of million in cash," he answered.  "The stocks
> are a bit more volatile, so I'd need to check my system to know their exact
> value."  He leaned his head back and let the the ceiling become his own
> chalkboard for a second.  "Five million, I think."
>      For a moment, Jennifer gave him The Look, but only a moment.  Then she
> looked at the chore board, giving *it* The Look.  After a moment she got up
> and erased the check marks for YARDWORK, VACUUMING, DUSTING, LAUNDRY, and a
> few others.  When the slots were empty, she looked back at Cameron, her face
> far more relaxed than before.
>      "We're hiring a maid."

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Awesome.

>      Heroic identities are essentially legal entities a la corporations (and
> in the 90s were mostly structured as LLCs).

Makes sense.

> They're separately taxed, but in almost all cases there's no actual tax bill
> and the returns are very confidential.

I wonder which circumstances would require one?

> When a hero wants to draw on this
> money in their civilian ID, it can be somewhat tricky, but there's a number
> of safe and simple ways to transfer money the other direction (i.e. "donate"
> a hundred dollars to a fake charity so that you can use a hero-ID debit card
> to buy coffee while out on patrol).

Heeheehee.

> But all of this took decades to
> evolve, and the original Lady Lawful owned all of her own IP for at least
> part of her career.

Ahhhhh, very nice. Good job, June!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, actually, needs to do laundry...