RACCIES: 2012 (19th Annual) RACCies Ceremony

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:39:41 PDT 2013

"Come on, I think you've had enough."

"Shut up, you sound like mom. Sheesh."

Lydia Devin tilted her head back, gulping down the contents of her latest beer bottle.  She slammed it down onto the bar, the bottom of the bottle shattering.  She rested her chin in her hand, staring at the trophy in front of her.  It was smaller than the ones from the ceremony, though it looked the same.  Even through the closed door, the sounds of the main party outside could be heard, but Lydia had disappeared at the start.  This had hardly been a surprise to Elana, of course, but at least she knew where she was now.

"I thought they broke all of those. I've never seen so many people with superpowers flying around at once!  ...okay well, I've never seen anyone with superpowers other than you.  Still, it was really something else.  Fighting for justice and order and all that important stuff," Elana smiled, nodding in satisfaction and crossing her arms.

"They did," Lydia murmured, her speech slurring as she slammed another bottle down next to the two dozen or so already there.

"Oh, stop that. You can't even /get/ drunk!"  Elana tapped her foot impatiently as she looked over at her nigh-omnipotent sibling, letting out an all-too-familiar sigh.

"I can too. I just have to do it to myself!"

"Oh, fine.  Why do you even have that, though?  You called it, oh, what was it?" She paused, waving her finger in the air while she pondered, and then she snapped her fingers. "Oh, that's right," She did her best Lydia impression, which was fairly good, all things considered. "'A fucking waste of my time that almost made me kill everyone again.'  Which, I'll admit, is actually pretty accurate for once."

"Shut up, El." With a sigh, Lydia brushed aside the beer bottles.  The sound of shattering glass echoed through the empty room as they collided with the far wall. She rubbed her forehead, muttered a curse under her breath, and reached out for the trophy, holding it in her hands.

"So, apparently they really liked you, I guess," Elana stood there, feeling a bit unsure of what to say at this point.  "That was a lot of trophies."

"Fuck the awards," Lydia said softly, her slurring gone as quickly as it had arrived. "Why should I care about those?"

"I don't know," Elana said quietly, frowning and rubbing her arm gently. "It's a sign that people care."

"Yeah, I guess.  But they don't /know/.  No one knows.  How could they?" She stared at the trophy in her hands again, shaking her head. "They're superheroes and shit.  Saving the galaxy or whatever the fuck.  And what am I? I'm just some stupid kid.  But I could take care of all of them, if I wanted to.  Just like that."

Lydia snapped her fingers.  The music instantly came to a halt.  Instead, it was completely, deathly silent. Elana couldn't help but shiver at the thought.

Another snap, and the music was back, right where it left off.  Elana breathed a sigh of relief.

"So I could fucking fix everything.  All of it. Just, poof.  Done.  Never even had to happen.  Any of it. All of it."  She paused, and her voice started to waver. "I could bring back mom and dad."

Her head slammed forward into the table, sending a crack radiating outward along the wood from the force of the impact.  Her voice was weak, wobbling, and Elana could hear the tears between her words. "So why haven't I?"

Elana walked over, placing a hand on Lydia's shoulder.  For a minute she just stood there, letting Lydia get it out of her system.  Finally she squeezed the shoulder, shrugging her own. "I don't know, Lydia. Sometimes it's best just to leave things alone.  So that you don't make them worse instead."

The tears stopped soon after, and Lydia sat up again.  "...you're right." She nodded, wiping her eyes and giving a smile. "You're always right. I'm lucky you're here to keep my head on straight..."

She stood, holding the trophy in her arms, and she looked over at Elana.  The lights in the room went out, and from nowhere, a spotlight shined on the goddess. "And the award for best sister in the universe goes to... Elana Devin!"

The light moved to Elana, and she blushed a little. "What? Really?"

Lydia held the trophy out, and Elana reached for it.  She took it in her arms, turning it to look at the engraving at the base. And then she smiled. "Oh, Lydia. You shouldn't have."

"Hell, you should have gotten all of them, El, not me." Lydia threw her arms around Elana, pulling her into an embrace.  The trophy clattered to the floor as Elana stood there in surprise. "I love you, sis."

"I know you do, Lydia."