SW10: Powernaut 2011 #4: Ellipses! Now They Die!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Sep 17 18:43:31 PDT 2012

On 9/17/2012 2:42 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:> On Sunday, September 16,
2012 8:44:39 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:

 >> The original Ellipsis was (and is) a mutant supergenius. Twenty years
 >> ago, while he was still in college, he invented a portable energy field
 >> called the Ellipsis Field. Unfortunately the field tended to drive
 >> people crazy, including himself at times. Just this year, he got that
 >> fixed and went open-source with the tech. Now there's a small swarm of
 >> engineers flying around with the equivalent power of nuclear bombs.
 >> (2011/useless.txt)
 >
 > Ah! I see. You've never put the whole Ellipsis thing so concisely!

Well, I could have mentioned Ellipsis is libertarian tending toward
paranoia, *and* the U.S. Government cracked down on him several times
from 1991 to 1996.  Crusher Joe was with Ellipsis then, and Dan Quayle
was the Vice-Badass in Chief...  But I had to cut the backstory
somewhere.  And the more I thrash around back there, the sillier it
gets.  8{D>

 >> Does that make you nervous at all? The U.S. Government isn't terribly
 >> happy about it. And evil mages hate all that science in the air.
 >
 > Oh, I dunno - it sounds fun!

Yeah, I think there would actually be some public support for
open-source nuclear power.  People only think things are a problem if
Other People are doing them and they can't.  Wyatt Ferguson, however, is
a bit more skeptical than I am whenever Ellipsis attempts to re-engineer
society.

 >> Powernaut comics have not been terribly violent up to now.  At the
 >> height of my 1944 series, Power Stars vs. the Wehrmacht, I managed eight
 >> acts of violence in one strip.  The height of Powernaut 2011 will
 >> feature Ellipsis and the Powernaut in one strip, and it will turn the
 >> violence index up to eleven.
 >
 > Woo! Explosions!

Powernaut 1954 vs. the Rabid Space Crocodiles of Venus made it to eight
also.  I think PowerTeen 1955 only managed one for the whole series...
I might have to go through all the back issues and come up with a
Violence Index.  Or maybe an Action Index so PowerTeen can improve his
score.

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.