SW10: Powernaut 2011 #12: We May Lose Our Souls!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Oct 28 18:49:59 PDT 2012

Oooh, things look bad for the Powernaut right now.  But the last panel
of this episode changes everything.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2011b.htm#12

Here's a bit of history from Wyatt.

The current Powernaut surfaced in 2005. (Powernaut 2005, 2009) The
National Security Agency researched his background really hard then. But
it mostly just got confused.

- Nobody's sure how far back Powernauts go. For all we know, there was a
caveman Powernaut. The earliest mention of them was a Powernaut 1912
comic strip. (someday to be published on this web site)

- There was a World War 2 comic strip about the Powernaut fighting
Hitler. (Powernaut 1941 and 1944) We know some of that was just made up;
for instance, we can't verify the Galatea or Doc Nostalgia stories. But
inspired by the strip, Allied agents infiltrated Axis-occupied France in
Powernaut outfits to mobilize the French Resistance. The strip survived
into the 1960s. (Powernaut 1954, 1962, 1966)
There was a 1950's Teen Powernaut comic. That was just embarrassing.
(Powernaut 1955) There were some actors who portrayed the Teen
Powernaut, of course. The most successful one of those now regularly
debates an actor of the Partridge Family on cable TV.

- In 1968, one Phil Hanover got superior powers, and was inspired by
comics (and maybe drugs) to call himself Powernaut. I and the U.S.
Government both have reason to believe he was real. He operated into the
mid-1980s. (Powernaut 1968, 1969, 1976, 1979, 1985) Among his many weird
claims, he once said he was the 1950s Teen Powernaut grown up! This
seems unlikely based just on facial structure, but we can't entirely
rule that out.

- In 1992, a masked Powernaut surfaced - during Vice-President Dan
Quayle's Superhuman Control Initiative against Ellipsis. There's reason
to believe he was real, and vague evidence he operated for ten years.
(Powernaut 1987, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997) But the U.S. Goverment has
clamped down on all details of this Powernaut, before or since the
incident.

... Welcome to my world. I'd welcome you to the Powernaut's world, but I
can't quite keep track of it from here.

I know. - Archie Andrews