[StarFall/Info] Official Guide to the StarFall Universe #2: Supporting Cast

Ted Brock tbrock1031 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 12:17:46 PDT 2012

On Oct 23, 1:41 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 22, 2012 2:39:11 PM UTC-4, Ted Brock wrote:
> > StarFall Comics
> > Proudly Presents
>
> > THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE STARFALL UNIVERSE
>
> Oh hey, this still exists! <3

Yeah, it's been a slow year for us... been staring at things and
deleting random scribblings, at least in my case.

> > Real Name: Nikola Tesla.
>
> I've never heard of anyone named Nikola! I'm Prince Nikola!

Believe it or not, it was his real name!  It's Serbian in origin,
similar to the Russian Nikolai.

> >    The first two years after his return Tesla spent in a legal battle
> > over his patents, not to mention his deceased status.
>
> Wouldn't all those patents be loooooooooooooong expired either way?

Probably, but that wouldn't stop him from at least investigating the
matter.

> >    Many of Tesla's inventions, he soon discovered, were being declared
> > classified in the interests of 'national security', a stance which
> > Tesla himself found at odds with his ideas of propagating advanced
> > technology.
>
> Is this something that ever actually happens in real life? I have to admit I don't know!

Nor do I!  But then, we're applying a literary lens to things.

> > Uniform: A two-tone purple bodysuit, with the divider between the
> > colors running from her right shoulder to her left hip, the lighter
> > purple above the divider; a dark purple full-face cowl with reflective
> > lenses over the eyes, black gloves, black boots.
>
> Hm, good stuff!

Thanks.  I should note that Time-Twister's outfit reverses the tones.

And then there's everyone's favorite:

> > Occupation: Head of the Greco-Roman pantheon (for the time being).
>
> MWAHAHAHA
>
> > Identity: The general populace of Earth does not believe Zeus to be
> > anything other than a mythological figure.
>
> ...okay but how

But how what?

> >    Then something very strange happened.  Roughly two thousand years
> > ago, Olympus and its underworld realms, Hades and Tartarus, were cut
> > off from Earth.  As the gods failed to make appearances, their
> > worship, initially sustained by the highly regimented Roman clergy,
> > fell off sharply as a sect of a little-known monotheistic religion
> > that originated in the vicinity of what is now Israel, Syria, and
> > Jordan grew in popularity.  (Some of the more scholarly gods, such as
> > Hermes, Athena, and Hephaestus, have attributed this to a "Reality
> > Quake", similar to the event of a few years ago.)
>
> ...hnnnnn. I am not entirely comfortable with this implication? I think it falls under the same rule as "don't make it so that aliens were responsible for the Nazis". NOT, mind you, that I am comparing either Christianity or pagan Rome to the Nazis, but it seems weird to retcon a Reality Quake into the origins of the current largest religion?

I think you misunderstand.  The Reality Quake of the 1st Century AD
was not the origin of Christiantiy, but locked out the means for the
Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, etc. to mess with mortals, paving
the way for Judeo-Christianity to expand.  There was another Quake in
1066 AD that locked out the Norse gods.

In short, I figured there'd be a reality quake every thousand years or
so, give or take a century.

> > Strength Level: As strong as he needs to be!
>
> Average strength level of a deity who really doesn't get enough exercise.

Well, as far as his own timeframe goes, he only recently became a
couch potato (would that be in the last year?), so I figure he'd still
be fairly fit.  It's not like Dionysus is plying him with drinks every
hour. ;)