SW10: Powernaut 2011 #7: Yeah, Powernaut, Your Country Needs You!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Oct 1 17:55:17 PDT 2012

I think from the previous strip onward, each episode will have at least
one guest star.  This one has six - including Leo the Pirate Vampire King!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2011.htm#7

Commentary from Wyatt, 'cause you can't tell the players without a program:

All the links here can be found under http://www.eilertech.com/stories/ .

We wanted the Powernaut to storm the Dreamtime, but he was going to
smash a meteor. There was a lot of public outcry about the U.S. Gov not
doing that themselves. Suffice it to say, Ellipses had it covered. We
just couldn't quite depend on them, so we couldn't announce it.

Still, we had to start recruiting for The Boot. I'll spare you the
dialog, but we considered:

*  Lucianus Autonomus. By then, we suspected evil mages were opposing
either Ellipses or the Powernaut. So we needed good mages. Their leader
Lucianus Autonomus was ready to help. It surely was good just to see him
in the room, 'cause he's so experienced and reasonable. The V.P. surely
should have made him his National Security Advisor instead of me, but
Lucianus wasn't interested. (lucianus.htm)

*  Vara Hosea. She's Lucianus's deputy champion. I used to be her deputy
champion... for Death. (death.htm) She's kind of sensitive, but she
knows everyone. So she was good to have here too.

*  They wanted Stonewater as a conduit. She'd been in the Dreamtime for
the last year, serving as a nature goddess. (2010/deathtrap.htm) But
Crusher Joe had first call. She was in Cairo, Illinois. The U.S. Gov
needed her to talk with the continent of North America. Really.
(2009/journal.htm#northamerica) So they had to settle for...

*  Doctor Lithium. He was there in town; I'd escorted him there! He'd
just come out of the Dreamtime - for much longer than Stonewater had
been there! (2011/endgame2.txt) Vara Hosea didn't especially like him,
but she'd worked with him for much of the 1990s in the Total Conversion
battle squad. So she vouched for him. Crusher Joe was fine with him too,
as long as he took his meds. But he wasn't up for field missions. So...

*  Leo the Pirate Vampire King. (2009/journal.htm#leo) The mages wanted
to stay on Earth, because their enemies had specifically barred them
(and me) from the Dreamtime. But someone still had to go into the
Dreamtime to press The Boot. Leo had actually been there - and he was in
town for a state visit, representing Tuvalu (the land of the Vampire
Pirates). He volunteered, before I even had a chance to be considered.
Thanks, Leo!

We'd basically all worked together at one time or another - even Vara
Hosea and the Powernaut. (2011/discontent3.txt) For sure, they have
different ways of approaching life. You can tell that just by the way
they dress. Let's just say, the Powernaut's exceptional in that respect,
just as in every other; he adds color to every room he walks into. Even
Leo the Pirate Vampire King dresses like pirates, vampires, and kings,
but the Powernaut just dresses as himself. As far as anyone including
myself can tell, he has no secret identity. He's just the Powernaut.

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.