MISC/HCC: Fragment of a letter attributed to Tostig, Saint of Heretics (c. 948-1000)

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 07:53:53 PST 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:30:30 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:

> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:12:10 AM UTC-5, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> Interesting name. Inspired by Levon?
>
> No, he's named for Tostig Godwinson, who attempted to overthrow his
> brother Harold, the last Anglo-Saxon king, in 1066. Tostig was killed by
> his brother's army at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, along with his Viking
> allies led by Harald Hadrada. (300 ships bore the men to English shores;
> only 24 ships were needed to evacuate the survivors). Harold himself had
> rather bad luck on the battlefield less than three weeks later, at Senlac
> Hill some six miles northwest of Hastings.

Oooooo. Interesting.

> I chose "Tostig" because it is a very Anglo-Saxon name, tied to a
> particular period and place.  My initial aim with this was to imply the
> period rather cryptically (Sylvester in Rome being another clue), but then
> I hedged my bets and put the birth-dates in the subject line.

Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten it without that, even if I'd thought to google
the names. Need to be a better researcher!

> I actually didn't know about the song Levon, but now I do. Thank you for
> that. :-D

Heh heh, don't mention it! I guess your parents listened to less classic
rock stations in the car growing up; with mine, it was on ALL THE TIME.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, and he shall be a good man~