MISC/HCC: Fragment of a letter attributed to Tostig, Saint of Heretics (c. 948-1000)

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 06:30:30 PST 2012

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:12:10 AM UTC-5, Andrew Perron wrote:
> Interesting name. Inspired by Levon?

No, he's named for Tostig Godwinson, who attempted to overthrow his brother Harold, the last Anglo-Saxon king, in 1066. Tostig was killed by his brother's army at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, along with his Viking allies led by Harald Hadrada. (300 ships bore the men to English shores; only 24 ships were needed to evacuate the survivors). Harold himself had rather bad luck on the battlefield less than three weeks later, at Senlac Hill some six miles northwest of Hastings.

I chose "Tostig" because it is a very Anglo-Saxon name, tied to a particular period and place.  My initial aim with this was to imply the period rather cryptically (Sylvester in Rome being another clue), but then I hedged my bets and put the birth-dates in the subject line.

I actually didn't know about the song Levon, but now I do. Thank you for that. :-D

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:40:48 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:
>

> > world would end with the year, held by the few and unlearned. But on the
>
> > third day [illegible] appeared seven discs of light that floated to the
>
> > earth. From each disc there came seven terrible angels, slender and pale
>
> > and many-eyed, bearing [illegible] from each seven beams of light and of
>
> > flame. It touched wood and stone, and all was like ashes. It touched flesh,
>
> > and all was like ashes. Half of those that lived returned with the angels
>
> > to the Heavens, and it seemed that they chose the just and the unjust to be
>
> > taken, and to be left, in equal measure. A deep sadness and confusion set
>
> > upon those who remained. I will go to Rome to tell Sylvester of what I had
>
> > seen.
>

> Ooooooo. An alien abduction a thousand years ago. Neat. <3

Thank you.