SW10: Powernaut 2011 #13: Powernauts, Now We Strike Back!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Nov 11 16:29:32 PST 2012

Evil mages might be in for even more of a surprise than they've already got.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2011b.htm#14

Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson...

The Powernauts have different origin stories, but they have this in
common: No one's quite sure where their powers come from. Sometimes
people aren't even sure where the Powernauts themselves came from.

-    The most common origin involves someone named Paul Poderr being
charged with energy, either by accident or pure love of life (or
whatever). In my world, there was no real Paul Poderr, except *maybe* in
the 1990s. Believe me, we've looked.

-    As for the powers... well, weird powers in my world mostly come
from weird science or weird magic. We have to accept that the Powernauts
do not fall into the science category. That leaves magic.

So the present-day Powernaut probably has some sort of magic powers. And
he has no secret ID. So maybe he *is* a magic being! His associate Karl
Scribner jokingly admits to having *wished* the Powernaut into existence
as a hero, during a time of rampant wish-fulfillment on Earth. That
would make the Powernaut an avatar, an incarnation of heroism.
(Powernaut 2005) And he's heavily into public relations (as witness his
Power Patrol) - which does nothing to decrease his magic levels.

Where does magic go when it's done? Either it dissipates, or it goes
somewhere - maybe back where it came from, maybe somewhere else. Maybe
old Powernauts do that too - which means they could be summoned again.
Maybe they were always riding along with the current Powernaut.

If you can believe some of the old stories, you could on rare occasions
see two Powernauts together - if the world were about to end. (Powernaut
1985, for instance.) If someone were to put multiple Powernauts plus a
conduit of public support plus some source of hyper-energy (say, a
Pentahedron) together in the magic realms, it would probably wipe the
magic realms clean of many other things. And people would *at best* have
lots of dreams about things exploding.

I know. - Archie Andrews