LNH/HCC: Legion of Net.Heroes Vol.2 #52 HCC32

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:05:26 PDT 2012

On Oct 31, 4:47 pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>      Except for Cynical Lass, who face palmed as it occurred to her that
> it wasn't just saying things out loud that counted as tempting fate.
> Some days that you just couldn't risk an ironic thought even in the
> privacy of your own head.

This happens more often than I would like to admit...

>      "He's a Writer," said Kid Enthusiastic.
>      "Yes, I got that," said ARAK II.  "Between So-Lame-Even-Saxon-
> Brenton-Wouldn't-Use-Him-In-A-Story Lad and Joyce Carol Oates Lass, it's
> obvious that some people codename themselves after writers."  He had
> long since finished eating his lunch, so he absently stacked the cutlery
> on his empty plate before standing up and placing the plate at an
> adjacent collection point.  "I just don't know who he *is*.  I've never
> seen a library catalog entry for anything he's written.  What does he
> write?  Science fiction?  Romance?  Neo-Edwardian comedies of manners?"

Please, please let the answer be "All of the above..."

>      "All the research work I've done for the past six years is pretty
> much pointless now," ARAK snarled.  "And the worst thing is that it
> isn't a problem I can deal with by punching it!"

I really loved this plot point when you discussed it at RACC-Con,
and I'm thrilled to see it finally come to fruition.

>      Cynical Lass rolled her eyes.  "Oh please.  How are we supposed to
> get recurring villains if you go around acting responsibly, securing
> defeated bad guys and tidying up dangerous messes?"
>      And the scary thing was, ARAK II didn't have enough experience with
> the whole 'recognising the cliches of a superhero parody story' to tell
> whether her protest was serious or not.

I've known Cynical Lass for years, and even *I* can't always tell
when she's being serious.

--Easily-Discovered Man Lite
--Seriously enjoyed this issue