ASH: Derek Radner's Private Journal #7 - Conquerors

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon May 14 18:47:00 PDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 1:03 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> [Private Journal of Derek Radner - December 2, 2017]
>
>       I'm going to exclude "institutional" conquerors for the most part,
> people who are merely leading the invasion on behalf of some nation or group
> that "does" conquest as part of their culture, unless they stand out from the
> crowd.  But the motives of most institutional conquerors are more a function
> of their society's imperatives, and so you're really looking at the entire
> culture rather than individuals.  Individuals are always a product of their
> culture in some way, of course, but I'd rather focus on the individuals who
> decide they need to take over the world or some significant subset of it.
>
>       I think the four main motivations for conquest can be broken up roughly
> into: egoboo, (crossed out "bored") challenge-seeking, stepping stones and
> benevolent tyrant.  And yes, that's in increasing order of respect I have for
> the motivations, but they all have strengths and weaknesses.

I wonder if there might be a fifth category (at least outside ASH):
Ceremonial.  SW10 has a lot of aliens who kind of stumble into combat
with the Earth, for alien reasons.   Some breed their way to domination.
  Others have considered tourism to be conquest; some humans (whom the
Powernaut has met/will meet) do that too.

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.