LNH20: Bite-Size Tales of the LNH v20 #7: "First Republic"

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu May 3 13:10:31 PDT 2012

On 05/03/2012 01:44 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:43:39 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> ... I love this concept.  I have never seen a serious what-if discussion
>> about it, though.  I believe this to be a failure of serious what-if
>> discussions.
>
> To be fair, there could be some very real barriers that I didn't get into.
> I'm not entirely sure.

Well, there's one:  Where's the Axis Navy?  soc.history.what-if often
gets into religious wars about Operation Sealion for precisely that
reason.  But I don't think this detail should detract from your story.
If the Red Army helps invade France, the Germans can concentrate on
building a navy.

>> *  The *British* (well, probably the Australians by this point) attack
>> Pearl Harbor because they can't be sure the U.S. Pacific Fleet will
>> fight on against the Axis.
>
> Oh, man - I should totally have worked in Australians-as-Americans. (They
> were the ones holding off Japan!  That's it!)

Well, mostly their tool for holding off Japan was Australia itself:
incredibly big to conquer, and out of the way to anywhere except New
Zealand.  They needed American help to fight for everything else.