LNH20: Bite-Size Tales of the LNH v20 #7: "First Republic"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:44:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:43:39 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> ... I love this concept.  I have never seen a serious what-if discussion
> about it, though.  I believe this to be a failure of serious what-if
> discussions.

To be fair, there could be some very real barriers that I didn't get into.
I'm not entirely sure.

> "Well, what if someone else?"
>
> "No one else would dare."
>
> But a Nazi-Soviet-Japanese Super Axis was a very real concern to
> everyone else back then.

Indeed!  And I know I didn't really mention Japan.

> You know I believe the same way as Doc Nostalgia.

I suspected as much from the Powernaut!

> But in fairness to
> the opposing point of view... If the United States surrendered to the
> Axis as thoroughly as France did, there'd have been plenty of U.S.
> resistance movements, but we'd have seen all the following.
<snip list>

It's true - the sheer size of the US makes something like this hard to
accomplish.  I suspect there's a lot of divergent details that Doc N didn't
get into.

> *  The *British* (well, probably the Australians by this point) attack
> Pearl Harbor because they can't be sure the U.S. Pacific Fleet will
> fight on against the Axis.

Oh, man - I should totally have worked in Australians-as-Americans. (They
were the ones holding off Japan!  That's it!)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, poifect sense