LNH20: Ultimate Mercenary v20 #1

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:14:28 PST 2012

Martin replied to Adrian:
>> "You mean the Power Kirby? That's what we call it,"
>
> Well, okay. I mean, whatever you call it it is a type of radiation.
> But if it's "dark matter" then it only interacts with matter
> gravitationally and if it is "dark energy" then it is responsible for
> the expansion of the universe. Neither of that makes sense so we just
> have to assume that Kid Enthusiastic isn't upon his science.

It may be that because they don't really understand the phenomenon,
that Looniverse based scientists have labelled it 'dark
[fill-in-the-blank]'.

I recall one cosmologist (Dr Fred Watson, here in Aus.) rueing the
fact that two things that modern cosmology can't directly detect have
been labelled 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' - because the similarity
of names means that laymen keep mixing them up and even assuming
they're the same thing.

Perhaps, as you suggest, Kid Enthusiastic is not up on his science
and is using the more commonly know 'dark [variable noun]' name when
he was talking about something which has a third 'dark [variable noun]'
name altogether?

---
Saxon Brenton