LNH20: Twenty-Fisted Comics #1

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 21:12:24 PDT 2012

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:46:46 +0000 (UTC), Adrian J. McClure wrote:

> Oooh. Yes. This is very Golden Age. Reading it made me super excited
> about LNH20 again.

Mwahahahahaaa

> On Jun 24, 2:43 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>> GOLDEN AGE VERY-DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN! Spiritualist Professor O.
>> Iji Boarde
>
> I love that name. It's just the right kind of ridiculous.

Eeeeeeexcellent.

>>     War is overflowing the halls of the dead! Hades cannot hold them!
>
> Oh, I just realize how this relates to certain running plots.
> Excellent.

You know, I didn't think of it, but it really fits. Yay to writing to
recurring themes in our culture.

>> LASS LADY, The First Hero! Mysterious champion of freedom, she wields
>> the Liberty Rifle, which shoots not death, but Theta Radiation,
>> dispelling dark, controlling thoughts! She knows that We Can Do It!
>
> I'm surprised she doesn't have a Lass Lasso.

SHE DOES NOW

>> "What's this? Something's awakened me-- out of a deep sleep-- there is
>> a great wrongness in the air!"
>
> Browsing the Deadpool tag on Tumblr again I see?

...bwu?

>> "All fear is darkness-- but darkness knows fear of GOLDEN AGE VERY-
>> DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN!"
>
> And I love how you actually explained his name.

*cackles* Giving reasonableish explanations to ridiculous aspects of the
world is one of the building blocks of LNH20.

>> She pushed herself to her feet, arm hanging limply at her side. "That,
>> sir, is the tantrum of an unsocialized infant! That, sir - is NOT
>> PLAYING FAIR!"
>>

> YES.

I was afraid this would come off as insufficiently epic.

>> Lady Fairplay is, in fact, an actual Golden Age comics character,
>> appearing in Bang-Up Comics #1-3, published by Progressive Publishers.
>> She's fallen into the public domain, so I decided to pull that
>> deliciously LNHy name and concept into a story.
>
> Indeed! I wonder what other characters might be suitable. How about
> this guy? http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Kangaroo_Man_%26_Bingo

Hmmmmm. The coolest one I noticed:
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_Exterminator

>> "Enigma men" is a pre-Network term for net.heroes. It's based on
>> "mystery men", of course, with an LNHy reference to computing -
>> specifically, the Enigma code machine, a form of single-purpose analog
>> computer.
>
> That is so Golden Age. Yes.

Why thankyew!

>> And yes, the force behind this issue's events is linked to the origin
>> of a certain charismatic LNHer...
>
> You know, Jan was around during this period. I wonder what she was up
> to, and it would make sense if she clashed with Lass Lady at some
> points.

Probably! Almost certainly, *some* of the Shadow Skimmers. I have to wonder
if they ever worked as a group.

> Also, I know I have run this topic into the ground and then
> some, but I now wonder whether Jan and Lass Lady had a Thing, or at
> least some unresolved kismesistical tension. Because the former is
> incredibly Claremont, and the latter is analogous to Golden Age Wonder
> woman.

Oooooo. Indeed.

> I suspect Lass Lady's influence had a lot to do with the more
> heroic parts of her character, and that Jan sees a lot of her in
> Fearless Leader.

*nods* ...hmmmm.

> (And yes, sorry about us bringing Homestuck into everything. It's just
> so fun!)

I know, right? Going off on more of a tangent, Andrew Hussie is someone who
knows precisely how to play off his audience and create concepts that are
totally resonant to them.

>> GOLDEN AGE VERY-DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN: A thin, tall man of
>> Eastern European descent.
>
> Would Greece count? We don't see a lot of heroes powered by Greco-
> Roman gods who are actually Greek.

That's a good point, though I was thinking more Romanian and the like - the
kind of area you associate with late-19th-century spiritualism.

>> She has freckles, blond hair, and a very curvy,
>> zaftig form (modern media would call it "fat" if the public didn't
>> *still* adore her).
>
> <3

<3!

>> DOC NOSTALGIA: A muscular, square-jawed man with hair of an odd
>> blue-black hue. Wears a bright blue and black version of an American
>> World War I Army uniform, with a black neckerchief and a blue ranger's
>> hat, and a circle on the chest with the letters "DN" in it.
>
> Makes a lot of sense! And it's interesting how it dovetailed with
> Scott's concept.

Yeah, turns out I based it off the description he wrote in the wiki. XD

>> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, took me forever to make the cover,
>> but it was worth it.
>
> Yes it was!
>
> Adrian (If we go by Golden Age WW, Kangaroo Man could be Lass Lady's
> sidekick)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, it's kickin' in yeah