ASH: LL&DD Special - "LabViews"

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Sun Jun 24 13:13:40 PDT 2012

In article <1pn66ktaynhuz.12nbywbf7xbsb.dlg at 40tude.net>,
Andrew Perron  <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:34:01 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>>      Second: the batteries would tend to disintegrate after a few weeks.
>> Cameron worked out that there was some "anti-entropy" to the packs, but the
>> source of the power was actually a matter conversion reaction.  His best
>> estimate was that neutrons were...somehow...breaking down into protons and
>> electrons, with the electrons adding to the flow.  But since this transmuted
>> the elements into things that had different bonding properties than the
>> original material, after a certain point, the actual batteries would
>> disintegrate.
>
>Interesting. I'd think there'd be some radioactive waste.

     Not if the decay product was stable.  For instance, it could be
degrading the oxygen in the oxides into nitrogen (which might also improve
battery performance if it's the kind that recharges by reducing an oxide)
which then drifts away.

>>      Ultimately the switches were connected to a holoplatform in the middle
>> of the staging area.  It was a transparent cylinder in the middle of the room
>> with projectors at the top and bottom.  When activated the tank would fill
>> with a fine mist that would reflect light and fill the cylinder with a three-
>> dimensional image.
>
>Ooooooo, neat idea! o.o Do those exist in RL yet?

     http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Newest-3D-Technology-Holograms-Projected-Onto-Fog-23869.html
is one example of it.  The hard part is making a three-dimensional image
rather than a flat one.

     Dave Van Domelen, back to painting ponies up as obscure 1970s Marvel
superteam members.