LNH20: Twenty-Fisted Comics #1

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 12:46:46 PDT 2012

Oooh. Yes. This is very Golden Age. Reading it made me super excited
about LNH20 again.

On Jun 24, 2:43 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

> [ The cover shows a tall, radiant figure with a proud bearing. She
> wears with a golden tiara, a bright yellow cape clasped at the neck, a
> long-sleeved green top, a sky-blue chainmail skirt, and military-cuffed
> boots. A caption box says, "Introducing... LADY FAIRPLAY!" ]
>
> [ And that cover can be seen! At:
>  http://wordsineedtoknow.com/TwentyFistedComics1.png]

YAY!

> GOLDEN AGE VERY-DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN! Spiritualist Professor O.
> Iji Boarde

I love that name. It's just the right kind of ridiculous.

>     War is overflowing the halls of the dead! Hades cannot hold them!

Oh, I just realize how this relates to certain running plots.
Excellent.

> LASS LADY, The First Hero! Mysterious champion of freedom, she wields
> the Liberty Rifle, which shoots not death, but Theta Radiation,
> dispelling dark, controlling thoughts! She knows that We Can Do It!

I'm surprised she doesn't have a Lass Lasso.

> "What's this? Something's awakened me-- out of a deep sleep-- there is
> a great wrongness in the air!"

Browsing the Deadpool tag on Tumblr again I see?

> "All fear is darkness-- but darkness knows fear of GOLDEN AGE VERY-
> DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN!"

And I love how you actually explained his name.

> They were at the meeting of four corridors. Four empty corridors - or
> were they? No - because she could hear it - a  hideous sucking - she
> could see it - translucent, mucoid flesh rolling, bones suspended,
> lolling grotesquely - crawling, grinding down - towards them - no
> escape - no escape!!
>
> "NO!" shouted Lady Fairplay. "You have put us in your game - we have
> played it! We have been winning! But to have rocks fall and surround us
> with inescapable death--
>
> She pushed herself to her feet, arm hanging limply at her side. "That,
> sir, is the tantrum of an unsocialized infant! That, sir - is NOT
> PLAYING FAIR!"

YES.

> Lady Fairplay is, in fact, an actual Golden Age comics character,
> appearing in Bang-Up Comics #1-3, published by Progressive Publishers.
> She's fallen into the public domain, so I decided to pull that
> deliciously LNHy name and concept into a story.

Indeed! I wonder what other characters might be suitable. How about
this guy? http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Kangaroo_Man_%26_Bingo

> "Enigma men" is a pre-Network term for net.heroes. It's based on
> "mystery men", of course, with an LNHy reference to computing -
> specifically, the Enigma code machine, a form of single-purpose analog
> computer.

That is so Golden Age. Yes.

> And yes, the force behind this issue's events is linked to the origin
> of a certain charismatic LNHer...

You know, Jan was around during this period. I wonder what she was up
to, and it would make sense if she clashed with Lass Lady at some
points. Also, I know I have run this topic into the ground and then
some, but I now wonder whether Jan and Lass Lady had a Thing, or at
least some unresolved kismesistical tension. Because the former is
incredibly Claremont, and the latter is analogous to Golden Age Wonder
woman. I suspect Lass Lady's influence had a lot to do with the more
heroic parts of her character, and that Jan sees a lot of her in
Fearless Leader.

(And yes, sorry about us bringing Homestuck into everything. It's just
so fun!)

> Descriptions follow:
>
> GOLDEN AGE VERY-DISTURBED-SCARY-CREATURE MAN: A thin, tall man of
> Eastern European descent.

Would Greece count? We don't see a lot of heroes powered by Greco-
Roman gods who are actually Greek.

> She has freckles, blond hair, and a very curvy,
> zaftig form (modern media would call it "fat" if the public didn't
> *still* adore her).

<3

> DOC NOSTALGIA: A muscular, square-jawed man with hair of an odd
> blue-black hue. Wears a bright blue and black version of an American
> World War I Army uniform, with a black neckerchief and a blue ranger's
> hat, and a circle on the chest with the letters "DN" in it.

Makes a lot of sense! And it's interesting how it dovetailed with
Scott's concept.

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, took me forever to make the cover,
> but it was worth it.

Yes it was!

Adrian (If we go by Golden Age WW, Kangaroo Man could be Lass Lady's
sidekick)