SW10/META: Superhuman World Sexuality (Re: LNH/Meta: Queer LNHers)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Jun 22 18:50:56 PDT 2012

On 6/21/2012 4:16 PM, Adrian J. McClure wrote:
> This is of course by no means a comprehensive list queer LNHers or
> LNHers in queer relationships; I just thought that instead of focusing
> on the failures and legacy of one particular writer (and I'm a huge
> part of why this has been the case, and I'm sorry for that), we should
> focus on the issue of representation of various sexualities in our
> stories and see if it can inspire us to do better.

Recent discussions of Legion of Net.Heroes sexuality have got me
thinking... In Superhuman World 2011, most of the characters' sexuality
is irrelevant.  But there are exceptions.  I think I have the best ones
here, both straight and other.  And I think we all agree, the best part
of the story is not the lurid sex.  It's the soap opera romance, some of
which has been undocumented until now.

---

Ellipsis (Stephen Wolcott) and Morningstar (Julie Wolcott):  Actively
heterosexual.  Married in 1991.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/ellipsis6.rtf )  Separated in
2004.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/politics.htm )  Reunited
in 2006.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2006/dreamtime.htm#balancequest )

Wyatt Ferguson:  Heterosexual but currently inactive.  Almost married
Judy Kraaco in 2002.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/neverwas.htm )
Romantically linked to the Countess Symmetria San Giacomo in 2008.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2008/devilwar.htm )  Almost married
Judy Kraaco in 2010.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/judy.htm )

The Hurrier (Erik Katzman):  Heterosexual but currently inactive.
Divorced Katerina Katzman in 2008.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2008/reversal.htm#reversal )

The Powernaut(s):  Heterosexual and occasionally active.  Romantically
linked to Paula Page in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.  Married Paula Page
in 1997.  Currently single/inactive; location of the modern age Paula
Page is unknown.  (oh, you already know where to find Powernaut comics)

Morningstar 1991 (Laura James):  Actively heterosexual.  Married with,
oh, five children.  All boys, I think.  As a good Christian woman, she
honors the proper use of the marital bed.  (Last seen in 2007.
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2007/villainwar.htm#morningstar .)

Swordhand (deceased 2011,
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=discontent4.txt ):
Heterosexual, but needed drugs to counteract erectile dysfunction.
Fortunately his branch of the U.S. Gov had a great health plan.  (First
seen in 1991.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/balance9.rtf )

Body Up (former Agents of USIB):  Heterosexual, at least typically.  The
reader may think a busful of woman-on-woman action is exciting, but too
bad.  These ladies are just friends.  But each sleeping chamber on the
bus has an expandable bed, to allow for guests of whichever gender.
(2006 account at http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2006/bus.htm .)

Jimmy Flamer:  Bisexual.  He's a tabloid sensation, known
internationally.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=britannia_beach.txt )
  He often brags of his female conquests, but does not deny the accounts
of men who have shared his orgy bed.  He's just friends with Nell the
Waitress, though.  Jimmy is a good tipper.  (2010 origin at
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/waitress.htm .)

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.