LNH/Meta: Queer LNHers

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:37:19 PDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:16:04 +0000 (UTC), Adrian J. McClure wrote:

> This is of course by no means a comprehensive list queer LNHers or
> LNHers in queer relationships; I just thought that instead of focusing
> on the failures and legacy of one particular writer (and I'm a huge
> part of why this has been the case, and I'm sorry for that), we should
> focus on the issue of representation of various sexualities in our
> stories and see if it can inspire us to do better.

Ooooooh, interesting.

> Note that assigning an orientation to many of these characters and
> their relationships is somewhat reductive. Again, this is mainly to
> provoke thought. (Also, not all these people are technically LNHers,
> but whatever.)

*nodnods* Fair.

> Also assigning asexuality under the rubric of "queer" is somewhat
> controversial, probably. There are a lot of arguments about what
> "queer" encompasses. But for simplicity's sake I will.

Indeed. Personally, I would've just titled this "LGBTQIAAX7%(Prince symbol)
LNHers".

> Kid Enthusiastic (LNH20) (asexual and heteroromantic)

He might be biromantic, but he hasn't told me either way.

> Deductive Logic Man (Classic) (asexual and homoromantic or biromantic)
> Aeneas Romulus Boddy (Classic) (straight man in an asexual romantic
> relationship with another man)

The perfect way to put it!

> Ultimate Ninja (Classic) (asexual and aromantic)

This makes sense, though the fact that UN *could* fall in love in a
dream... (I don't think I entirely understand how aromantics work, I'll
admit.)

> Kid Kirby (Classic) (asexual and aromantic)

Hm. I don't think I'd really call him aromantic.

> Private Eye (LNH20) (straight trans man, though I haven't had a chance
> to establish this yet)

Neat!

> Chaos Theory (Classic) (Chaos entity of some sort, with everything
> that implies)
> Masterplan Lad (Classic) (An alien being whose sexuality is probably
> hard to understand on our terms, but he demonstrated an attraction to
> Chaos Theory, so)

OTP~

> Multiple Personality Lass (Classic) (Composite being in a biologically
> female body with at least one lesbian and at least one male component,
> in a relationship with a woman)

Who is another component.

> Possibly we could consider a lot of other characters who are focused
> enough on one aspect of their lives that it largely rules out romantic
> interaction, such as Mainstream Man and Knife Fight Dude, as asexual.

Hmmmmm. I wouldn't, necessarily, especially since many such might find
someone through that aspect of their life.

> Adrian (And as you'll find out in issue 50, there's one more character
> who belongs on this list)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, bwahahaha