LNH20: Replacement characters

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Jun 20 15:48:26 PDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 02:26 PM, Adrian J. McClure wrote:
> 1. Googlemesh. So obviously, we need a mythological hero, someone who
> could serve as the bridge between the Ancient Legion and the present.
> And it would be best if it were someone who, like Gilgamesh, was non-
> western.
>
> We could just have a character who's a different parody of Gilgamesh,
> but I'd like to go for someone more out of the way. How about Arjuna?
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjuna) Because he fills the niche of
> both mythological hero *and* archer-hero. I would need to read up on
> the Mahabharata and the ways it's read and it's role in the various
> cultures it's a foundational part of. (Not just India, but all over
> Southeast Asia.) But I do know there've been a lot of adaptations and
> alternate interpretations over the years, so a version who
> occasionally uses gimmick arrows wouldn't be too out of place.

I was considering that last night.  I've already come up with the
Bat-Defender, who ruled like a king in ancient Jerusalem.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/you.htm#world2)  He's certainly got
that comic-book parody element to him, and he has nothing to do with the
real history of any useful universe.  So he or his successors could pop
up in LNH.  Though surely someone can come up with something more net.ty
and silly.

> 2. Cranium. What interested me the most about him, in the stories I
> didn't get to write, was the rivalry with Pantra. We have a version of
> the Tom and Jerry setup, the opposition between intellect and
> instinct, a "cat and mouse" game where the mouse is the intellectual
> one.

... aw, crap.  The Cranium is already in the middle of the next Clueless
Lad Team-Up.  The interplay *I* liked was between him and January Frost.
  If I had to finish that team-up on my own, his Earth-mousiness would
be an important element... though if I had to finish that team-up on my
own, the Great Catastrophe might suddenly disappear too.

> Any character taking his place would have to be something a cat can
> eat. And the really interesting part--making him partially a Sherlock
> Holmes analogue--came from Saxon. So I would use one of Saxon's
> creations--the Giant Radioactive Hamsters from the Planet Beyond
> Net.Mars. In the LNH20, they'd be more dangerous and militaristic,
> vaguely equivalent to the Kree. He'd be a consulting detective who was
> exiled to Earth.

I guess that's fine, as long as he's actually sarcastic and not larger
than a rat.