LNH20: Replacement characters

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:26:41 PDT 2012

1. Googlemesh. So obviously, we need a mythological hero, someone who
could serve as the bridge between the Ancient Legion and the present.
And it would be best if it were someone who, like Gilgamesh, was non-
western.

We could just have a character who's a different parody of Gilgamesh,
but I'd like to go for someone more out of the way. How about Arjuna?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arjuna) Because he fills the niche of
both mythological hero *and* archer-hero. I would need to read up on
the Mahabharata and the ways it's read and it's role in the various
cultures it's a foundational part of. (Not just India, but all over
Southeast Asia.) But I do know there've been a lot of adaptations and
alternate interpretations over the years, so a version who
occasionally uses gimmick arrows wouldn't be too out of place.

2. Cranium. What interested me the most about him, in the stories I
didn't get to write, was the rivalry with Pantra. We have a version of
the Tom and Jerry setup, the opposition between intellect and
instinct, a "cat and mouse" game where the mouse is the intellectual
one.

Any character taking his place would have to be something a cat can
eat. And the really interesting part--making him partially a Sherlock
Holmes analogue--came from Saxon. So I would use one of Saxon's
creations--the Giant Radioactive Hamsters from the Planet Beyond
Net.Mars. In the LNH20, they'd be more dangerous and militaristic,
vaguely equivalent to the Kree. He'd be a consulting detective who was
exiled to Earth.

Also, this character could be female instead, both because of the
rivalry with Pantra and because of the upcoming Lucy Liu Sherlock
Holmes series.

AJM (also, we have a pattern of alien empires that are innocuous Earth
things, I guess)