LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #51

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 17:15:58 PDT 2012

On Jun 18, 7:56 pm, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Honestly, I'd say the best way to deal with Martin is to just ignore him
> (and his sockpuppets -- Hey, remember that time that Tom killfiled
> Martin so Martin started posting under a sock puppet called George Chen
> so he could continue trolling Tom?  Hah, that Martin!  What a very
> mature poster!)
>
> http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/2008-June/004880.htmlhttp://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/2008-June/004881.html

...holy crap. Just when you think he can't stoop any lower...

> Which probably also means never using any of his characters, but that's
> a small price to pay for not having to deal with him anymore.
>
> And if Martin uses your character in a way you don't like -- it is
> perfectly within your rights to have him rewrite the scene so that you
> find it acceptable or to have him rewrite it with some other character.
>
> That's my advice for dealing with Martin.
>
> Arthur "Sorry about this..." Spitzer

Yeah, you're probably right. The problem is that both of the big
collaborative projects that are going on right now involve his
characters to some extent and it's hard to know what to do with them,
though Spoon of Destiny has a built in retcon escape clause. Then
again he was part of the thing that's was keeping me away from those
projects. Martin is right that I wasn't writing much and that's
partially because of him. I was frustrated by how he didn't seem to
have any interest in following the plot or understanding any idea that
relies on some degree of complex symbolism. I was frustrated at having
to clean up after his messes and also afraid to put in anything really
interesting and complicated for fear he'd write up a chapter with no
thought put into it and mess that up. I did involve his characters
earlier because he said we could use them and gave the impression he
wasn't interested in LNH20, but then came on board and refused to
listen to the people who had actually been involved. I don't know. In
a way I'm glad he wrote something this offensive and patently awful
because then I could write about all the things that were irritating
me about his work with no guilt. I should have gotten into that
earlier, we really need some constructive criticism, but I was afraid
of starting a passive aggressive slap fight. I should have known it
would only be a matter of time.

Anyway, I'm mainly going to concentrate now on the next parts of
Ultimate Mercenary until we can sort out some of these issues.

AJM (how come my spellchecker doesn't recognize retcon as a word?)