Misc/JE: 30 Days of Jenny, Day 1: The First Voyage

Adrian J. McClure mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 09:41:46 PDT 2012

In my never ending battle with writer's block, I've gone back to
writing for Ficly (a microfiction site where the stories have to fit
within 1024 characters.) Right now they're having the "NaFicWriMo"
challenge, which involves writing a ficly every day for the month of
June. I decided that I was going to write them all about Jenny
Everywhere. (I may rearrange the order I post them here compared to
when they were written. This one wasn't the first but it should have
been)

I've also been posting these at the Jenny Everywhere tumblr I started
at fyeahjennyeverywhere.tumblr.com; that was what dragged Andrew into
this.

***

Laura was sitting alone in the bathroom, wishing desperately the party
would end and she could go home. Where was Jenny? Probably talking
someone’s ear off about physics. They’d have to find a designated
driver, because there was no way she was even remotely sober.

Jenny staggered into the bathroom, a somewhat unnerving grin on her
face. “Hey Laura, want to see something cool?”

“I suppose so?”

“I’m really a Shifter.”

“Er…what?”

“No, really! I have all the memories of all the other mes in all the
other worlds, and I can also jump between them. Like this. Hold on
tight!” Jenny had always made up these strange stories since they were
in high school, and Laura knew the best thing to do was play along.
Jenny grabbed her by the hand, and then she felt the world lurch
around her. She caught a brief glimpse of a clear night sky with two
moons, and then they fell to the floor in the bathroom. What just
happened? Laura hadn’t drunk anything…

Jenny groaned, clutching her head. “I’m never doing that again…”

****

The character of Jenny Everywhere is available for use by anyone, with
only one condition. This paragraph must be included in any publication
involving Jenny Everywhere, in order that others may use this property
as they wish. All rights reversed.

(Laura too, actually. She was meant to be a supporting character in a
series of stories that never got finished; I meant Jenny to have a
supporting cast that would carry over between different realities and
have different roles. I’ll hopefully expand on her later.)

In my mind, this Jenny is the same one from Journey into
Procrastination #1