MISC: Do what extent do NON writer characters have free will?

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 22:20:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 02:26:12 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> Yeah, I agree there are ways to make Captain America special without
> destroying mutants or making Thor look incompetent.  But one doesn't
> always see those techniques in action, and shared universes just point
> that out.

It does make it harder to hide certain writing flaws.

> Other example you often hear:  Why doesn't Superman clean up Gotham
> City?  Either Superman's incompetent because with all his power he
> can't, or he's slacking so as to not make Batman look incompetent.

Because Gotham's mess isn't caused by the everyday presence of criminals on
the street, but by corruption. Superman can't punch people's personal
flaws. Also: Because he can't be everywhere at once.

> Still, I enjoy the stories which at least *try* to give a reason.  Along
> those same lines (to bring the conversation back home), I'd like to see
> a story that at least *tries* to explain how when the LNH tries to stop
> Master Blaster from bullying Wikiboy, the wiki structure of reality has
> a breakdown or something.

Yeah, somethin'.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, flarp.