MISC: Do what extent do NON writer characters have free will?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Jun 6 19:26:12 PDT 2012

On 6/5/2012 9:25 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:52:36 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> That may be.  But that's a long-standing problem of shared universes.
>> Like, if you want Captain America to be special but you have a
>> super-powered mutant in every neighborhood, you can basically either get
>> rid of Captain America, get rid of mutants, or live with the dichotomy.
>>    I think Marvel Comics has tried all three approaches, and no approach
>> has satisfied everyone.
>
> Eh. Honestly, I think that has more to do with an overly-specific
> definition of "special", the same kind that leads them to repeatedly get
> rid of the Green Lantern Corps because they can't be *special* if they all
> have the same powers!
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, rage.

Yeah, I agree there are ways to make Captain America special without
destroying mutants or making Thor look incompetent.  But one doesn't
always see those techniques in action, and shared universes just point
that out.

Other example you often hear:  Why doesn't Superman clean up Gotham
City?  Either Superman's incompetent because with all his power he
can't, or he's slacking so as to not make Batman look incompetent.
Still, I enjoy the stories which at least *try* to give a reason.  Along
those same lines (to bring the conversation back home), I'd like to see
a story that at least *tries* to explain how when the LNH tries to stop
Master Blaster from bullying Wikiboy, the wiki structure of reality has
a breakdown or something.

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.