MISC: Do what extent do NON writer characters have free will?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Jun 5 13:52:36 PDT 2012

On 06/05/2012 06:32 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:

> You wrote an article awhile back - 2006, perhaps? - about shared universes,
> and how different stories and different tones can coexist within one,
> enriching each other and the setting as a whole. I completely agree, and
> think that that's a very important aspect to creating a successful one.
>
> But... essentially, having an Absurdist story going on in the middle of a
> bunch of stories about Justice and Heroism - and more to the point, having
> the characters in the latter *aware of the former* and not doing anything
> about it - I think weakens both.

That may be.  But that's a long-standing problem of shared universes.
Like, if you want Captain America to be special but you have a
super-powered mutant in every neighborhood, you can basically either get
rid of Captain America, get rid of mutants, or live with the dichotomy.
  I think Marvel Comics has tried all three approaches, and no approach
has satisfied everyone.

So I can't recommend a particular solution, either for Marvel or the
LNH.  All I can say is, whatever solution people pick, explore all the
consequences.