LNH20: Tales of the LNH v20 #1: Fall and Rise Part 1: "As The World Wakes Up From History"

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jan 28 10:37:45 PST 2012

On 1/28/2012 1:04 AM, Martin Phipps wrote:
> On Jan 28, 1:10 pm, Andrew Perron<pwer... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> The Act was a ballot measure in Ohio, the state Netropolis happened to
>> be in at the moment,
>
> Wait... the whole city moves?!  What about power lines, telephone
> lines, cable service to the suburbs, etc.?  What happens when somebody
> drives out of town and then finds the city isn't there anymore?  Do
> people feel the city move like it's an earthquake or do people just
> wake up every few months (weeks?) in a different state?  And where
> does the city move to?  I mean are there city sized vacant areas all
> over the Loonited States?

This is hardly a problem unique to the LNH.  Gotham City has been
sighted in New Jersey and Rhode Island, and Metropolis is always near
by.  That trick works best around the time of reality shifts, though.
Whenever Gotham moves, it's always been where it lands.

> You know, technically, it could be the state boundary that moves while
> Netropolis itself remains where it is.  Less catastrophic. ;)

... although that kind of limits Net.ropolis to Ohio, Pennsylvania, and
West Virginia.  Or whatever.  And watch out if the rivers that follow
the state lines move too!  8{o>

> Mind you, the same problems could exist with LNH HQ except 1) LNH HQ
> has it's own power source so there are no power lines, 2) all
> telephone and internet connections to the outside world are wireless,
> 3) LNH HQ is bigger on the inside than on the outside so it doesn't
> take up a lot of space in the city and 4) I had assumed that there
> would have been building sized vacant lots all over Netropolis... but
> a whole city moving?   That's a bit much. :)

I bet the LNH HQ is smart enough to hook itself up to cable services and
power grids.  Maybe it does that for all of Net.ropolis.  Or maybe this
is just another one of those things it's best not to think about.  Just
like asking who the U.S. President was during the fourth coming of
Galactus.  8{D>

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.