LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #7: The Spoon of Destiny Saga Part 7

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Thu Jan 12 08:18:03 PST 2012

In article <bd4f2eac-3c83-4112-b8cf-b25040af63ba at gj9g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
Martin Phipps  <martinphipps2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I like it.  Except there should be a better reason why he can't open a
>restaurant.  Something like "The monks taught me that I should use my
>special skills for the benefit of mankind and not to make myself
>rich.  What better place for me to go then than LNH HQ?"

     Rather than have bureaucracy disillusion him, just have it fortuitously
place him in the LNHQ.

     "Hello, I would like to open a restaurant in this city.  I was informed
that I needed the permission of the local elders."
     "Aldermen."
     "Ah, yes.  That.  I am still learning your language."
     "Well, you did manage to find the correct office, which indicates good
luck or perseverence.  What sort of restaurant would this be?"
     "I am the Sous-Chef Supreme, disciple of the Chef of Iron in the
Mountain Fastness of Sugary-La.  It is my sacred charge to spread the
blessings of our mystic cuisine to the world at large."
     (Bureaucrat closes the window with restaurant permits, opens a new one.)
"Ah, yes, a standard Utopian Emissary business plan.  We get those
occasionally, although I'd admit this is the first time it's taken the form
of a restaurant.  Due to certain recent, ah, explosions, there's only one
part of the city zoned for the sort of business you propose.  On the up side,
the rent is free and you'll be serving a rather high-profile clientele...."

     Dave Van Domelen, figures that while we may not see them in the LNH
much, Netropolis gets a steady trickle of immigrants from hidden utopias.