LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #7: The Spoon of Destiny Saga Part 7

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:11:53 PST 2012

Lalo Martins wrote in reply to my teeth-gnashings::
>> There are two things that can cause quopri:
>>
>> 1: Characters outside the 32-126 range (unicode). 2: Lines longer than a
>> certain width (off the top of my head, I think 80).
>>
>> In your case I think it's possibly 2.
>>
>> The other solution would be to try a different news client; maybe keep
>> your client for normal use but for posting stories try google groups?
>
> Ok, 5 minutes of boredom and a quick analysis of your post in Python
> found the culprit. It's not line length (your longest line is 75). It's
> Window's buggy use of a right-single-quote (’) as an apostrophe. There's
> only one single instance of that character in your text (in the writer's
> notes at the end: “advance and/or tie-off other people’s threads”. Maybe
> you wrote that part in your client, or pasted it from a different program?

Possibly the latter.  I try to write entirely in notepad, but I have
to swap to word to spell-check and it's possible that I either added
the offended right-single-quote while making editorial changes,
or the spell-checker/grammer-checker function did.

Thanks for the info on the source of quopri.  After two decades
of trial-and-error I have by gut instinct come to try to avoid the
far-range unicode characters, as well as recognise and try to
work around the right-single-quote situation you described.  I
just didn't realise I had to be quite so rigorous about the latter.
(The line length I have been shortening over time, from 80
characters per line when I first started writing, down to a
preferred approximate of 72 characters after some comments
that Eagle made about word-wrap a few years ago).

---
Saxon Brenton