LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #7: The Spoon of Destiny Saga Part 7

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 01:48:00 PST 2012

quoth Lalo Martins as of Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:00:33 +0000:
> quoth Saxon Brenton as of Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:21:11 +0000:
>>
>> At the expense of repeating myself again: "Well, poop!"  Sometimes all
>> the effort I go to in composing my posts in flat .txt files in notepad
>> in order to avoid this problem just doesn't cut the mustard. I'm sure
>> I've asked this question before, but: Anybody got any ideas on
>> solutions?
>
> There are two things that can cause quopri:
>
> 1: Characters outside the 32-126 range (unicode). 2: Lines longer than a
> certain width (off the top of my head, I think 80).
>
> In your case I think it's possibly 2.
>
> The other solution would be to try a different news client; maybe keep
> your client for normal use but for posting stories try google groups?

Ok, 5 minutes of boredom and a quick analysis of your post in Python
found the culprit. It's not line length (your longest line is 75). It's
Window's buggy use of a right-single-quote (’) as an apostrophe. There's
only one single instance of that character in your text (in the writer's
notes at the end: “advance and/or tie-off other people’s threads”. Maybe
you wrote that part in your client, or pasted it from a different program?

Funny, at least for me, because I have been raving, tweeting, and
pestering Microsoft's forums and bug trackers about this recently. I have
no problem with proper (“smart”) quotes; I don't use them in stories
because they cause quopri, but I use them in regular posts all the time.
I do have a problem with the fact that a quote is not an apostrophe and
there's a perfectly good apostrophe character in the ascii range (and if
Microsoft thinks that doesn't look enough like an apostrophe, bloody well
pay for someone to fix the font, rather than using the wrong character).
And I do have a bigger problem with the way Windows forces that incorrect
character upon users.

-- Lalo “paladin of the apostrophe” Martins