LNH20: Generation 2.0 #5

Adrian J. McClure lord_soldeed at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 14:39:44 PST 2012

Part of the problem here is that Martin was actively uninterested in
LNH20 at first and only came around later, so he wasn't closely
following the brainstorming threads when they were going on and I
didn't update him on what my plans were. Keeping people on more or
less the same page has always been the big challenge of this project.
Lalo and Andrew and I more or less became its leaders in the early
stages because we were the ones brainstorming most aggressively. I
established a strong synergy with Andrew early on, at the risk of
excluding other people. For a long time I didn't tell anyone the full
scope of what I was planning, sending different bits and pieces to
different people. I don't remember whether this was a deliberate
strategy because I wanted everyone to be surprised by some aspect of
what I would write, or whether I just wasn't keeping track of what I
was doing.

It occurs to me that part of the reason for this revamp wasn't just to
make the LNH more accessible--given how complex this universe has
already gotten, I'm not sure it succeeds--but to start some
interaction between different LNH writers again. This was a huge part
of the early LNH but apart from cascades, it wasn't so much the case
later on. The Infinite Leadership Crisis was also something of a drive
to restore this (and it was also an anniversary event--hard to believe
that started almost five years ago now...) but when it led into Beige
Midnight, thanks to the latter event's extreme length, the LNH series
have each been in their own little world again. By this standard,
LNH20 has been a rousing success, with all the messiness that entails.

AJM