LNH20: Generation 2.0 #5

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:41:51 PST 2012

quoth Martin Phipps as of Tue, 03 Jan 2012 03:53:08 +0000:

> On Jan 2, 2:41 pm, "Adrian J. McClure" <lord_sold... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Googlemesh isn't the LNH Setup Kid. He's someone else (I thought I'd
>> told Lalo who, but back during the planning stages I sent so many
>> emails to so many different people I wouldn't be surprised if I lost
>> track), but it'll take me a while to set up his story properly. From
>> Lalo's brainstorming, I was under the impression that Googlemesh's
>> battle with ApocaLISP was what created Netropolis. Of course,
>> Googlemesh is a god (or two-thirds god at least), so he could have an
>> interesting relationship with time, existing in the never-ending battle
>> with ApocaLISP outside of time while also inhabiting the timestream in
>> the present.
>
> It's confusing.  Sorry about that.  My understanding was that the
> "ancient legion" was legendary and that people didn't know LNH HQ was in
> Netropolis until it showed up after the killfile.  Presumably they'd be
> mainly Native American legends although Greeks, Romans and Nordics could
> all have come in contact with them and hence the legends of Zeus,
> Hercules, Odin, Thor, Olympus, Asgard, etc.  Any battles they fought
> would have been from that time period before people kept written
> histories.  I also assume there would have been a lot of them because
> they were a "legion".  Presumably something happened to them and they
> disappeared when LNH HQ disappeared (long before Europeans came over).

There's only one passing reference in the timeline, when The Network
finds The Village (later Netropolis) somewhere, Googlemesh is still there
locked in eternal battle with ApocaLISP. That doesn't say anything about
the LNHQ though, or how much The Network had opportunity to interact with
Googlemesh.

I suppose it's quite reasonable that Googlemesh was spending most of his
time with his family in the Troll world and returning every few years
when ApocaLISP awakes; once he's met The Network, he was confident they
could handle ApocaLISP, so he didn't come back anymore.

That doesn't say much about Adrian's plans for him though... but then,
seeing as I remembered those plans wrong, I guess we'd better wait for
him to figure out how much they broke, if at all, and propose a fix :-P

Another minor point, with the LNHQ and The Village being mobile, it
doesn't have to be the case that the Ancient Legion established them in
America. Maybe it was originally in Sumer. In fact, maybe they moved it
to America when they left Earth, to take it out of the way of where they
expected civilization to develop.

-- Lalo “sewing” Martins