META: Empire State

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:41:38 PST 2012

I'm not that familiar with Adam Christopher's novel "Empire State,"
though the premise sounds cool: a super-hero battle leads to the
creation of an alternate-reality New York.

But the following contest sounds like it's right up the alley of many
folks on this newsgroup, so I thought I'd post it here.  More details
are available at: http://empirestate.cc/about-worldbuilder/.

--Rob Rogers
--Easily-Discovered Man Lite of the LNH

<<Cut n' pasted details to follow>>

Are you a fan writer, or fan artist? Do you like to paddle in other
writers’ pools? Do you write prose, poetry, songs, plays or
comicbooks? Do you sculpt, paint, draw, whittle or build? Do you
create?

If so, we’d like to invite you to create works based on Adam
Christopher’s Empire State.

Why would you want to?

   1. Well, first of all, because Adam’s novel is a huge amount of
fun, and there are limitless stories that can be told within the world
he has created – superhero, PI, prohibition, fringe science, noir,
alternate dimension, and many more.
   2. And secondly, because it’s not common for publishers and
professional novelists to allow other creators to paddle in their
pools – most of them actively prohibit it (the big meanies!), so not
only will you be able to create your stories and other art, you’ll be
doing so with the active encouragement of the author and publisher.
   3. And thirdly, because if we (that’s Angry Robot, the publisher –
nice to meetcha!) really like what you’ve created, we might choose to
publish it, and pay you for your work (see the bottom of this page).

This right to create your own work in the world of Empire State is
what we call WorldBuilder. You can find out a bit more about what you
can do (and how it’s licensed) on the How to Join In page.