META: RACC-con 2012: The finalising of details

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Feb 26 17:27:26 PST 2012

On 2/26/2012 3:57 PM, EDMLite wrote:
> On Feb 25, 11:52 am, Scott Eiler<sei... at eilertech.com>  wrote:
>> Hearing no counter-proposals, I think it's time to start planning.  Rob,
>> were you going to take the lead?  Everyone else, Rob (or whoever)
>> probably needs to know now if you can or can't make it, and if Best
>> Western of Benicia is okay.

I suppose I should have also asked:  Which time period are we planning
on?  I've mentioned earlier, I think the weekend June 29 through July 1
would work best for convention activities, with the following week for
tourism.  Is that still the plan, Rob?  And is it a deal breaker for anyone?

> Yes, I'll take the lead -- which I take to mean...
> -- Everyone will make his or her own arrangements for travel and
> accommodations.  (But I'm happy to seek a group hotel rate if we
> have 10 or more people who want to take part, and I'll help
> provide transportation from the airport/train station/bus station/
> Portkey to Benicia).

Thanks, Rob.  I appreciate the offer.  But I know from experience that
waiting for a long-distance Amtrak train sucks.  I'll find my own way
from station to hotel, thanks.  But I think we'll be looking to you on
group activity days.

> -- I will seek a venue for holding a general meeting/group writing
> session/group therapy session.  (Currently, I'm thinking the
> Benicia Library, though I'm open to other suggestions).

If they can loan us a conference room for lively discussion, that would
would seem to be ideal.

> -- I will keep track of who is coming and going, and set up
> activities/tours for those who express an interest in them
> (more on this below).

Input below.  I'd be up for at least one group trip into the Big City.
I'll send my travel details separately, after we get the convention time
published.  They will involve a morning train into the metro area, and a
night train out.

> Here is what I need from those who want to attend:
>
> -- Any writing-related activities you have in mind
> (from a group reading of the Cosmic Plot-Device Caper
> to sitting around deconstructing "Twilight" fanfic).

I still fondly remember one writing activity from college:  Pass sheets
of paper around the table, and write a tableful of cascade stories.  In
the modern age, would we all bring our PCs and send each other e-mail
courtesy of the library wi-fi?

If we're really into conventioneering, we could each present a summary
of our favorite story universes.  I could spend half an hour describing
how I came up with what's currently known as SW10, for instance.

> -- Any other activities in which you'd like to
> participate.  You can be vague ("I'd like to go on
> a hike") or disturbingly specific ("I've always
> wanted to harass Eagle at work.")

I've done almost all the touristy stuff.  I can particularly recommend
renting bicycles to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge.  If we do that,
we'll remember it forever.  And the wine tour and the redwood forest
were nice too.  I've somehow not gone in the museum at Golden Gate Park,
though.  Nor hiked Angel Island.  Nor kayaked, let alone with seals off
Sausalito.

But actually, I might peel off early to go to Sacramento.  I love state
museums.

> Baseball — don't know if anyone is a fan, but
> the Boston Red Sox will be coming to town to
> play the Oakland Athletics.  It's hard to find a
> less-expensive seat in baseball than at the
> Oakland Coliseum.

Oddly enough, I love my Red Sox but I don't go to San Francisco to see them.

> --Rob Rogers
> --Is excited to have people visit his hometown
> --Though he secretly fears they'll hold an
> intervention to get him to finish his issues
> of "Beige Countdown."

Oh, do I sense a cry for help here?  8{D>

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison (that's *Mister* Morrison to
you), Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.