ASH: "Worse Than The Disease" one-shot

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:43:17 PST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:49:29 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> In article <17oh2fdg3m0kw.ukb87736a4g3$.dlg at 40tude.net>,
> Andrew Perron  <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:35:33 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

>>> although had the Santari nobleman decided to express his
>>> contempt in a more physical manner he would have found that the the body that
>>> had once belonged to Jiang Sheng retained all of its combat prowess.
>>
>>I was wondering about that!
>
>      Although, on reflection, I probably should have removed or altered that
> observation.  I tried to make the POV more consistently that of Agrap once I
> decided to fade to black on his death, and this was definitely an omniscient
> narrator or a shift into Sheng's head.

A good point - that's one of the things where you feel the weirdness
without consciously noticing it.

>>> I laid it out in the short story "Undone" back
>>> in 1997, but few readers found that satisfactory.
>>
>>Really? I always thought it wrapped the issue up well.
>
>      Well, at the time (15 years ago) there was some grumbling about it.

Huh.  Always seemed like an excellent instantiation of one of the best ways
to explain human aliens.

>>> Rossi brought in the idea that certain individuals were "Universal Donors"
>>> and most weren't, which I didn't realize was a contradiction until way too
>>> late.  And now it's no longer a contradiction.  ;)
>>
>>Ahhhhhh.  You know, I never noticed that.
>
>      Well, it got papered over pretty quickly going forward, and usage prior
> to the change in meaning was never ironclad enough to force a contradiction.
> Just one of those things I knew I'd goofed on, even if readers didn't notice.

Oh yes.  I have those, and they itch the brain.

>>Very understandable.  You're *the* most consistent writer on RACC (Wil was
>>jockeying for it, but he seems to have fallen behind) - you're allowed a
>>break every so often.
>
>      Also, had no grading to do this afternoon and got ahead on other stuff,
> so I put together a few scenes for ASH #116 just now.  ;)

Woo!

>      Dave Van Domelen, does kinda wish he'd thought to hold this one-shot
> back by a couple days to have something new to post on Ash Wednesday,
> though.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, isn't that always the way?