LNH20: LNH Comics Presents: Spoon of Destiny Saga Recap

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Tue Feb 21 09:08:42 PST 2012

In article <z5m8h7k97dcj.yon0w89b0ycw$.dlg at 40tude.net>,
Andrew Perron  <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:38:23 +0000 (UTC), Adrian J. McClure wrote:
>
>> That said, I was hoping Andrew would be the first to write a scene
>> with Mr. Morrison, because I have no idea how to approach that
>> character's dialogue. Andrew described him as speaking "in strange,
>> Dada-esque patterns, often rhyming, using anagrams, iambic pentameter,
>> etc... He can only be gotten rid of by solving the puzzles that he
>> weaves through the things he says." Which is enormously intriguing,
>> but I have no idea what that's supposed to be like.
>
>I must admit, I'm not entirely sure myself... hmmmmmmm...

     A sort of "buyer's regret" sets in awfully quickly when you create a
character with an oddball formulaic mode of speech.  This issue's really
nifty idea becomes next issue's albatross.  Eventually you write the
character out entirely, or change them (for instance, Kaliban in ASH stopped
speaking solely in iambic pentameter once I took him over from Tony).

     Dave Van Domelen, "We hate iambic pentameter!" - entire cast of
Moonlighting at the end of the Taming of the Shrew homage episode