[META] RACC-con 2012: The finalising of details

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 15:16:19 PST 2012

On 2/17/12 12:27 AM, EDMLite wrote:
> On Feb 16, 6:13 pm, Scott Eiler<sei... at eilertech.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/16/2012 4:59 PM, Saxon Brenton wrote:
>
>> Rob, where is it you live?  A compromise might be appropriate, somewhere
>> in the East Bay.  Oakland or Berkeley would be ideal for me, because I'm
>> probably taking the train down and hopping off in Emeryville.  And
>> Berkeley might be halfway affordable in July.  Plus, accessible to
>> public transit.
>
> I live in Benicia, which is about 45 minutes from San Francisco
> -- by ferry.  We do have a number of hotels here (there's a
> Best Western across the street from our house, in fact)
> though it's a bit out-of-the-way for those who might want to take
> advantage of San Francisco's nightlife.
>
> On the other hand, we are just a few minutes from the vineyards
> of Napa and Sonoma...
>
> As for accommodations elsewhere , I'd argue for Berkeley over Oakland.
> I do know a few people in the hospitality industry; if enough people
> sign on for this, I might be able to get us a good rate in San
> Francisco.  For those who are willing to be enterprising, there's
> also Air BnB (which allows you to rent a room in someone's
> home while they are away): http://www.airbnb.com/.
>
> And if enough people are interested, there's also Vacation
> Rentals By Owner, which allows you to rent a whole house
> for a few days... http://www.vrbo.com/

Either Benicia or Berkeley are fine by me...

Regardless, it looks like it will be an 11 hour drive to get there...

>>> Also, how long are we talking about?  Am I safe in assuming
>>> several days of hanging out, goofing off, sightseeing amd maybe
>>> a writing jam session?
>>
>> Even for me I'd like to plan on a whole week to make it worth the trip,
>> and I'm practically local.  The question is, how much of that week do we
>> want to spend together?  I think many of us would prefer to not take
>> that much time off work, even those who have to travel.  So they might
>> take off early.  As such i suspect RACC Con 2012 will take up a
>> traditional convention weekend, Friday night to Sunday afternoon.  In
>> subsequent days, I could stick around and play California tour guide.  I
>> do have San Francisco experience.

I think I'll probably only be there for 4 nights... so I'd get 3 days to
see stuff...

Any three day period between June 30th and July 6th would be fine for me...

Any hotel that is under $100 a night would be fine also...

> I really like the idea of a writing session.  And I'd be happy to play
> tour guide, too -- in addition to the city, I'd love to be able to
> take folks for a wine tour, or for a trip to the redwoods at Muir
> Woods, or a generalized tour of Places Used As Location
> Shots in X-Men 3...
>
>>> Anything else that needs to be organised in advance?
>
> Well, we could always print up a few T-shirts with
> Scav's "LNH" logo on it...

Maybe I'll make a special LNH Webcomic T-shirt just for myself... :)

> --Rob Rogers
> --Likes the idea of all of us meeting up
> for the first time at United Nations Plaza
> --Though that's not such a great
> neighborhood, either...

Arthur "Making plans..." Spitzer