[META] RACC-con 2012: The finalising of details

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Feb 16 18:13:26 PST 2012

On 2/16/2012 4:59 PM, Saxon Brenton wrote:

> (Oops, sorry Eagle.  Forgot to put a tag in the subject line the
> first time around.)
>

> Time is trickling away.  May I get confirmations of where/when
> the RACC con meeting is going to take place before I actually
> book flights, and probably accomodation.
>
> San Francisco in the 1st week of July 2012.  Correct?
>
> Is this likely to involve meeting in the city, or meeting out
> near wherever Rob lives and travelling to venues?

Rob, where is it you live?  A compromise might be appropriate, somewhere
in the East Bay.  Oakland or Berkeley would be ideal for me, because I'm
probably taking the train down and hopping off in Emeryville.  And
Berkeley might be halfway affordable in July.  Plus, accessible to
public transit.

> Also, how long are we talking about?  Am I safe in assuming
> several days of hanging out, goofing off, sightseeing amd maybe
> a writing jam session?

Even for me I'd like to plan on a whole week to make it worth the trip,
and I'm practically local.  The question is, how much of that week do we
want to spend together?  I think many of us would prefer to not take
that much time off work, even those who have to travel.  So they might
take off early.  As such i suspect RACC Con 2012 will take up a
traditional convention weekend, Friday night to Sunday afternoon.  In
subsequent days, I could stick around and play California tour guide.  I
do have San Francisco experience.

> Anything else that needs to be organised in advance?

That many of us could probably negotiate a hotel rate, if we all stayed
together.  Might even get a free banquet room there, provided it's
attached to the hotel restaurant.  I could take the lead in organizing
that, if we can agree on a neighborhood.  Rob will need to advise on the
neighborhood, though.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.