LNHY/META: A Call To Corruption

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 21:06:39 PST 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:31:00 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps wrote:

> DC comics had bought
> the rights to the Whiz Comics character Captain Marvel but then went
> for ten years without publishing Captain Marvel comics.

Slight correction: They had prevented Fawcett from using it, but they
didn't buy the rights until much later.  When they started doing their own
Captain Marvel comics, they actually licensed the rights from Fawcett for
the first few years.

> Marvel took
> the opportunity to legally steal the name from DC and has been careful
> to make sure that they have used the name Captain Marvel ever since.

This bit, however, is completely accurate.

> (The Avenger now known as Photon was known as Captain Marvel for years
> after Captain Marvel was killed off in Marvel Graphic Novel #1 right
> up until they brought out a new Captain Marvel series.)

Yep.  Though I believe there was a period in there after when Photon was
active and before Genis-Vell first appeared when they did some stories
flashbacking to the Mar-Vell version.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, loved the Amalgam version of the
character.