LNHY/META: A Call To Corruption

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 18:31:00 PST 2012

On Feb 11, 9:57 am, Scott Eiler <sei... at eilertech.com> wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 10:08 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 03:08:35 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> >> Well, actually, there was a Scarlet Harlot in the Doom Patrol once.  It
> >> was one of Crazy Jane's personalities.  She dressed more like Emma Frost
> >> in scarlet.
>
> > Eh, shouldn't be a problem - a name, by itself, can't be copyrighted.
>
> I bet Spider-Man is pretty well locked down, though.  The main
> consideration is, does the use of this name create confusion in the
> marketplace?  Spider-Man would.  Scarlet Harlot, not so much.  Heck,
> RACC could probably take over the name and then sue DC if they ever used
> it again!

Well you are in luck because Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol ended
back in the 90s and Crazy Jane wasn't in the group when it started up
again ten years ago.  That means DC hasn't been using the name Scarlet
Harlot which means they don't retain rights to the name.  This is how
Marvel was able to use the name Captain Marvel: DC comics had bought
the rights to the Whiz Comics character Captain Marvel but then went
for ten years without publishing Captain Marvel comics.  Marvel took
the opportunity to legally steal the name from DC and has been careful
to make sure that they have used the name Captain Marvel ever since.
(The Avenger now known as Photon was known as Captain Marvel for years
after Captain Marvel was killed off in Marvel Graphic Novel #1 right
up until they brought out a new Captain Marvel series.)

Martin