ASH/HCC: LL&DD Special "Surprise"

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 15:19:10 PST 2012

In the follow up to the LL&DD Specail, Scott Eiler asked:
> I have a question about this challenge, though: Do we need the
> *element* of surprise? *Planned* surprise, that is? I guess at this
> point, it's for voters to decide. But as a voter, I'll be looking
> for planned surprise.
For what it's worth, I wasn't thinking of a planned surprise when I
set the challenge.  A planned surprise, or a serindipitous surprise
would work just as well.

And as for what put me in mind of that phrase in the first place...
Er...  For some reason I was thinking of 'artificial elements', such
as the one in Tom Holt's novel _Earth, Air, Fire and Custard_.  Which
admittedly would make for a rather 'mad sciencey' take on a story if
I carried through with the idea...

Look, let's just agree that it's not necessarily safe to delve too
deeply into my thought processes, okay?

---
Saxon Brenton
'Still crazy after all these years...'